Welcome to The Fish Market’s Home Recipes! We’re posting one recipe each week during the Spring of 2020 to help bring our dining experience into your home while we all work to ‘flatten the curve’ and keep our friends, loved ones and essential workers safe.
This recipe is broken down into three components: the ginger lime marinade for the prawns, the cilantro sauce for the coleslaw and the complete dish. Before you head to the grocery store, make sure to note each ingredient list. This sauce and marinade are great on swordfish or even chicken too if that’s what looks good at your local market this week. You can also sauté the marinated shrimp if you don’t have access to skewers or a grill.
A great option to source the quality of fish we offer at The Fish Market would be to order from an online retailer like Catalina Offshore. In San Diego County, Chula Seafoods Wholesale is also offering curbside pick-up for individuals right now and has both fresh fish and great deals. Just mention that you’re Fish Market friends & family when you call or text (619) 993-8321.
GINGER LIME PRAWNS & CILANTRO COLESLAW
We serve this in the restaurant as an appetizer, but we’ve included instructions here for 2-3 dinner servings. Just add rice or sweet potato fries to round out the meal.
1 lb prawns. We recommend the 13/15 size.
½ cup Fish Market ginger lime marinade (recipe below)
½ cup + 2 tbs Fish Market cilantro sauce (recipe below)
4 cups coleslaw mix (we make ours by shredding green cabbage and carrots, but feel free to get creative by adding red cabbage, broccoli, etc.)
4 bamboo skewers, soaked in water
Cilantro leaf for garnish
- Rinse shrimp in cold water and pat dry. Toss with ginger lime marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 10-20 minutes. Don’t let them sit too long or the lime juice will start to ‘cook’ the shrimp and they’ll be tough.
- Meanwhile, mix about ½ cup of the cilantro sauce with the coleslaw mix, reserving 2-3 tablespoons to dress your plates at the end. Mix the coleslaw well and set aside.
- Skewer the shrimp. If you’re using the 13/15 sizse, it’ll be 3-4 per skewer.
- Grill over medium-high heat until just opaque, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Scoop coleslaw onto the center of the plate. Cross two skewers on top of the slaw and drizzle with the remaining cilantro sauce. Garnish with cilantro leaf.
GINGER LIME MARINADE
½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
¼ cup fresh lime juice (approx. 3 ripe limes)
1 Tbs fresh ginger, minced
1 ½ tsp fresh garlic, minced
¼ cup olive oil
¼ tsp crushed red chili flakes
¼ tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Combine all the ingredients, stir well.
½ cup cilantro leaves
2 Tbs garlic cloves, chopped
2 Tbs lime juice (approx. 1 ripe lime)
½ tsp sugar
¼ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp black pepper ground
½ cup Olive Oil
- Add everything but the olive oil to a food processor and pulse several times to combine. Alternately, you could finely chop the cilantro, mince the garlic and whisk thoroughly to combine. It will be a more ‘rustic’ consistency, but it still works if you don’t have access to a food processor.
- While the processor is running (or you’re whisking rapidly!), slowly add the olive oil to emulsify.