We’re all looking for ways to celebrate at home while our favorite restaurants are closed, so this week we’re sharing a recipe in honor of both Taco Tuesday and Cinco de Mayo. There’s no better way to have a fiesta en su casa!
We’re working to get our retail markets open to serve you again soon, starting with our Del Mar/Solana Beach location this weekend. In the meantime, a great option to source the quality of fish we serve in our dining rooms would be to order from an online retailer like Catalina Offshore. In San Diego County, Chula Seafoods Wholesale is also offering curbside pick-up for individuals, with both fresh fish and great deals. This is where we sourced the fresh swordfish for our YouTube clip with tips and tricks for this week’s recipe.
CHIPOTLE SWORDFISH TACOS
Makes six tacos. Note, the chipotle rub, pickled onions and salsa can all be made up to 4 days in advance. Prepare when you have time on Sunday afternoon and enjoy a fast & easy Taco Tuesday!
12 oz Swordfish, cut into 6 portions, about ½” thick and 5” long to fit your tortillas
3 ½ tsp Chipotle rub (recipe below)
6 6” Corn tortillas
3 oz Shredded cabbage
3 oz Queso fresco, crumbled
6 oz Pickled onions (recipe below)
6 oz Tomatillo salsa (recipe below or purchase ready-made salsa of your choice)
Garnish with cilantro leaf & lime wedges; have plenty of chips on-hand for left-over salsa
- Season swordfish with the chipotle rub, making sure to cover on all sides
- Lightly oil the surface of a flattop, grill pan, sauté pan or grill. Regardless of the surface, use medium-high heat for 2-3 mins per side for the portion sizes listed above.
- Warm tortillas (again, any surface you’re already working will be fine of a few minutes in the oven)
- Place swordfish on warm tortilla
- Top with cabbage, salsa, pickled onions & queso fresco
- Serve with cilantro leaf garnish & lime wedges
Makes about double what you’ll need for the tacos
¾ lb Tomatillos
1 ½ Tbls Yellow onion chopped
1 Garlic clove
¼ Anaheim pepper, seeded
½ Jalapeno pepper, seeded
2 tsp Cilantro, chopped
½ tsp Dried oregano
¼ tsp sea salt
- Add everything to a food processor or blender and puree. Adjust seasoning to your taste. Store up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
PICKLED RED ONIONS
1 Garlic clove
1/8 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Ground black pepper
1/8 tsp Dried oregano
¾ cup Apple cider vinegar
½ Red onion
- Add the first four ingredients to a mixing bowl and cover with the apple cider vinegar
- Blanch the onion in boiling water for 20 seconds and drain
- Add the warm onions to the vinegar mix and steep at room temperature for 1 hour
- They’re ready to go! Or you can refrigerate for up to 4 days.
1 tsp Brown Sugar
½ tsp Ground Chipotle Pepper
½ tsp Paprika
½ tsp Mustard Powder
½ tsp Ground Cumin
½ tsp Sea Salt
- Add all ingredients and stir to combine well. Store in an airtight container up to 5 days.